The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted that cold snap conditions will continue in northern Indian states for the next 24 hours after which they are expected to ease. However, the weather agency also predicted heavy rain in some areas over the next few days.
Under the influence of a new active Western Disturbance and its induced cyclonic circulation; Fairly widespread to widespread light/moderate rain/snowfall most likely over western Himalayan region from February 2-4, IMD said.
Check out the full forecast here:
Cold snap conditions:
- Cold wave conditions in isolated pockets are very likely over Punjab, Haryana Chandigarh, Western Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan over the next 24 hours and will subside thereafter. Cold days in isolated pockets are very likely over Uttar Pradesh and eastern Rajasthan over the next 24 hours and will subside thereafter.
- Cold day to cold day conditions in isolated pockets are very likely over Madhya Pradesh, Vidarbha and Chhattisgarh over the next 24 hours and will gradually ease thereafter. Cold wave conditions in isolated pockets very likely over Madhya Pradesh and Odisha over the next 2 days; over Vidarbha and Chhattisgarh over the next 24 hours and gradually tapering off thereafter.
More rain in these regions:
- Isolated to scattered light/moderate rain very likely over Sub-Himalayan West Bengal and Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and Meghalaya and Nagaland-ManipurMizoram-Tripura on 31st January and 1st February 2022.
- Isolated thunderstorms/lightning is also highly likely over Arunachal Pradesh, Assam Meghalaya and Nagaland-Manipur-Mizoram-Tripura over the next 24 hours.
- Isolated light rain very likely over Tamilnadu-Poducherry-Karaikal and Kerala-Mahe over the next 4 days and over the Andhra Pradesh-Yanam coast over the next 48 hours.
- Isolated light rain/snowfall is likely over Jammu-Kashmir-Ladakh-Gilgit-BaltistanMuzaffarabad over the next 5 days.
- Scattered to fairly widespread light/moderate rain most likely over Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh from 02 to 04 February 2022.
- Due to the confluence between westerly winds and easterly winds at lower tropospheric levels; Scattered to fairly widespread light/moderate rain with isolated hailstorms likely over Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal and Sikkim on the 3rd and 4th and over Assam and Meghalaya and Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and the Tripura on February 4 and 5.
Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint. Download our app now!!