Here is the weather forecast for India:
Tuesday (October 25)
- Widespread rains and thunderstorms, as well as localized heavy falls, can hit Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and neighboring Meghalaya due to a remnant of cyclonic storm Sitrang.
- Snowfall is likely over the far north of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Widespread rains and thunderstorms are forecast over Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura.
- Showers and scattered thunderstorms are possible over Sikkim, West Bengal and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Snowfall is expected in the far north of Sikkim.
- Isolated rains and thunderstorms are expected over Bihar, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Air quality will remain very poor in Delhi-NCR and poor in central, eastern and western India.
Wednesday (October 26)
- Fairly widespread rain and thunderstorms can occur over Arunachal Pradesh, with snowfall in the far north.
- Scattered showers and thunderstorms are likely over Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Isolated snowfalls or precipitation accompanied by thunderstorms are expected over Ladakh.
- Isolated rains and thunderstorms are possible over Sikkim, Sub-Himalayan West Bengal, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Air quality will continue to be very poor in Delhi-NCR and poor in central, eastern and western India.
National 5-day forecast
Cyclone Sitrang made landfall on the coast of Bangladesh in the early hours of Tuesday, October 25. It will continue to push in Meghalaya and Assam while weakening significantly and becoming an area of low pressure. However, the peak of the threat of heavy rain for the northeastern mountains could occur on Tuesday, October 25.
Rainfall of between 50mm and 80mm is expected to hit Arunachal Pradesh and adjacent areas with locally higher amounts of over 200mm for the next couple of days. Rainfall is also expected to fall as snow in the far north of Arunachal Pradesh.
Additionally, with the retreat of the southwest monsoon from the whole country, no significant rainfall is expected in other parts of the country until Friday, October 28. However, isolated showers may occur in the southern tip of the southern peninsula. Snowfall is likely over Ladakh on Wednesday and Thursday.
As for mercury levels over the projection period, both maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to remain normal in Delhi NCR.
For weather, science, space and COVID-19 updates on the go, download The Weather Channel app (on the Android and iOS store). It’s free!